Friday, February 25, 2011

Stir-Fries & Pizza--Part II

**Due to the lengthy nature of yesterday's post, I am continuing today with Part II.  To read the first part, click here.**

Pizzas, mmmm....

However, I am unable to eat cheese, so many of the take out and restaurant versions are a no-go for me.  Therefore, I set out to make a tasty version for home. 

Here are my hints.
1. Crust--that would most definitely be the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day version.  I've mentioned this before.  I am a total convert of this method.  Try it and you will be too.  From the book I will vary the recipe--either the boule or the pain d'epi, depending on what I have on hand. 
2. Since I use the AB in 5 version, it is necessary to:
-have a super hot oven, as in 500 degrees!  You must start ahead of time to get it up to temperature in time for cooking.
-use a baking stone.  This makes all the difference.  I love the crunchy crust.  Tastes like brick-oven from my electric one. 
3. Sauce--if you use this at all, don't put it on until you are 100% ready to start adding toppings and go straight to the oven.  Otherwise the dough gets soggy and starts adhering to your pizza peel.  I prefer to instead use sliced tomatoes, or canned diced tomatoes.  It's more "paste-y" as opposed to "sauce-y".
4. Toppings--these vary.  I've found that they taste the best when sauteed before going on the pizza.  But, lets get real, who wants to do that step when hungry?  This works best if the veggies are leftovers from a previous meal.  Last week our favorite combo was pineapple and pepperoni.  Or, in our case, whatever pork pieces you have around (i.e. shaved deli ham, sandwich salami, etc.).  Here's how Mr. P's version (avec fromage) turned out:



Delicious! 

What are your favorite toppings?





Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates